The trouble with belly fat is that it’s not limited to the extra layer of padding located just below the skin (subcutaneous fat). It also includes visceral fat — which lies deep inside your abdomen, surrounding your internal organs.
Alcohol’s calories contribute to beer belly
Drinking excess alcohol can give you a beer belly, but beer alone isn’t to blame. Drinking too much alcohol of any kind can increase belly fat, because alcohol contains calories. If you drink alcohol, do so only in moderation.
For men age 65 and younger, moderation means up to two drinks a day. For men older than age 65, it means up to one drink a day. The less you drink, the fewer calories you’ll consume and the less likely you’ll be to gain belly fat.
Determining your belly size
- Stand and place a tape measure around your bare stomach, just above your hipbone.
- Pull the tape measure until it fits snugly around you, but doesn’t push into your skin. Make sure the tape measure is level all the way around.
- Relax, exhale and measure your waist, resisting the urge to suck in your stomach.
For men, a waist measurement of more than 40 inches (102 centimeters) indicates an unhealthy concentration of belly fat and a greater risk of health problems.
Tips for losing weight For Men
1.Drink More Water
Drinking water is the best thing you can do to help you lose weight. Often, we mistake our thirst for hunger. Therefore, we instinctively eat high-sodium foods to help our body retain what little water it has left.
There is nothing wrong with drinking a reasonable portion of whole milk or homemade fruit juice. However, most of your liquid intake should come from calorie-free beverages. Green tea and coffee are high in polyphenols, antioxidants, and other micronutrients that are good for your health.
2.Take More of Iron foods
When you don’t consume enough iron, you can develop thyroid disease, such as hypothyroidism. This results in such symptoms as fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, and weight gain. Iron is one of the most important minerals for thyroid health
- 3. Include physical activity in your daily routine.
- For most healthy adults, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends moderate aerobic activity, such as brisk walking, for at least 150 minutes a week In addition, strength training exercises are recommended at least twice a week.
- If you want to lose weight or meet specific fitness goals, you might need to exercise more.
Losing belly fat takes effort and patience. To lose excess fat and keep it from coming back, aim for slow and steady weight loss. Consult your doctor for help getting started and staying on track.